Thursday, September 2, 2010

Quest

I took the steps three at a time, crashing down from the fourth floor upon which I lived. My mind swirled. This discovery gave me a step ahead. I had to get going. First, I must report my discovery to the world! I hit the bottom floor with a bang and swept the doors open. Sunlight bathed my face. I opened my mouth took a humongous breath. Then, I let it out. "THE WORLD IS ROUND!," I bellowed. Birds chirped, people stared. I put my hands on my hips, put my chest out, and beamed masterfully. The people turned and continued on their way. Expected of course. They would not understand this preposterous epiphany just yet. I must talk to someone important and quickly. I rushed toward the closest religious building. Setting off at a brisk jog I crossed the road and headed for the Jewish affiliation near the cemetery. As I was running, I glanced into the playground area. There sitting on the ground was a nudist. Frowning upon the crudeness of this man I continued on my way. The short jog had left me winded. I did need to cut down on my alcoholic intake. Oh whatever. I bounded up the steps, slammed the double doors wide open, and entered the Jewish church. An entire congregation turned and peered at me disapprovingly. Oops. That was right. Jews holy day was Saturday, not Sunday. I tried a smile. The congregation didn't reply. "I'll just come back later then?" The frowns deepend. "Right then, uhhhh..." I turned, closed the doors and disappeared down the steps. I turned and headed for the graveyard. The gate creaked open when I pushed it gently. "It sure is eerie even in the bright sun." I said aloud. This comment seemed to boost my self confidence enough so I stepped forward. Pacing myself, I weaved in and out of the stones. I felt more at home now, more within my own realm. Finding a particularly spiky and ground down looking marker I laid down, rest my head upon the stone waited. In the afternoon sun, my eyes drooped and I was soon asleep.

9 comments:

  1. Though not a particularly religious man, Aaron had been raised Jewish, and considered himself a good Jew. He attended synagogue as often as he could, which translated to as often as he felt like, which generally was about once a month. He was not especially spiritual, either, and really only went to synagogue in order to counter the numerous vices in his life, adultery being his sin of choice. Today, he felt exceptionally Jewish because he walked all the way down the block to the synagogue in a torrential downpour. His L.L. Bean rain jacket certainly did its job, and his sweater vest stayed reasonably dry during his trek. Towards the end of the service, in the middle of a prayer, a crazy Russian burst through the doors and stood wide-eyed at the end of the aisle. He attempted to produce a smile, which ended up an awkward grimace, and said "I'll just come back later then?" and turned and ran out as ungracefully as he had entered. "Blubbering idiot," Aaron thought. "The one day I decide to be a good Jewish boy and that fool has to ruin it for me!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky took a stroll through the cemetery, which today was gloomy and wet, so the smell of wet dog was quite present. Walking through the headstones, he spots a man sleeping against his favorite headstone, that of his now-dead owner. "What the hell fool this is my spot" thinks Lucky. If he cant tell the man to get off his territory, then he must mark it, and with that, Lucky empties his bladder upon the man's head. When he wakes up he will think, "Oh it rained" but no, "that is not water on your head, thats urine bitch" thinks Lucky. "That should teach you not to go to sleep wherever the hell you like." "The world is round," well so is my bladder when it's full so take that" Lucky thinks. He heads towards the apartments, ready for some more Chinese leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a long three hour nap on the lobby couch, Ms. Pigg woke up and wanted to take a walk. Ms. Pigg was woken up by the loud and obnoxious Dimitri Domonov. He was saying that the earth was round, but Ms. Pigg didn't want to believe that bullshit. Everybody was staring at Dimitri with a very confused look on there face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She continued on her way, plagued with lack of sleep and stress. She hardly noticed the man sleeping in the cemetery seemingly at piece from the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cemetary is a good place to go. It has been a long time since I checked up on the number of graves. 52 days and 6 hours I believe. No, that is wrong. I was never good with time. Quiet seems inescapable here. I notice rows of graves. Other than the new ones, one thing stands out; a man is on a stone. Is he a new number? Observing him up close reveals a terrible odor. Yep, dead. Another one bites the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cemetery bears many stones and one sleeping guy. The guy looks like he peed his pants. That's funny. Brian leaves the guy a note in his left breast pocket that reads:

    Dear guy,
    You seem cool. I think I'm pretty cool. I have gills and weird octopus feet, and that's why I sleep in a bathtub at night. Maybe we should get together some time and each enjoy a smoke and a pancake.
    Your dear friend - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I arrived home early today. I wanted to sit on the bus for hours, but I had to get up and walk through to Watershed Heights. A man was running around screaming about the world is flat. This is why I try not to associate with my fellow residents. They're all 146% crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neuman ponders staring out onto the landscape. The sudden exclamation that "THE WORLD IS ROUND" echoes in the streets. Neuman slaps his face. He could be at home inheriting the precious position of the company and really be contributing. He could be actually doing something productive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before the service ended, a deranged man burst through the front doors. He needed a shower and a razor. His shadow of a smile was eerie, as if he knew something that no one else did. Ezekiel tried his best to ignore the interruption, but he could not look away until the man left.

    ReplyDelete